The city of Handan, with a population of about 10.5 million people, is the centre of China’s Central Plains economic zone. Famous for its historical and cultural heritage, the city of Handan is also a major centre of Chinese industry, under the influence of the Hansteel group, which has deeply impacted its territory. The important industrial site of Hansteel, originally located in a remote suburb, is now close to the centre of Handan, and its redevelopment, as the main theme of this competition, is now to be seen as a driving force for the city’s urban development. Thus, the main purpose of the competition was the transformation of the existing proposed site with its reflection on the value of its industrial heritage.
The study develops an urban development strategy both adapted and flexible. The area concerned, which represents about a quarter of the surface area of the historic city, is made up of very heterogeneous built elements and an important industrial heritage. This heritage formed the starting point for the urban project, as did the geographical reality of the site, which guided the design process and the functioning of the new district. The proposal does not seek to standardize, but rather to make a variety of elements coexist and interact to compose a new homogeneous territory. Above all, the project highlights the urban aspect of the industrial heritage: the rehabilitation and reuse of the site’s old roads in particular, define a new network for the district.
The study placed particular attention on the feasibility and phasing of the development of the area, as well as on soil depollution strategies. The intervention follows 4 main principles aimed at fostering the coherence of a functional and resilient city, deeply rooted in its time:
该研究特别关注该地区开发的可行性和阶段性，以及土壤净化策略。干预遵循 4 项主要原则，旨在促进功能性和弹性城市的连贯性，深深植根于其时代：
• The preservation and cultural enhancement of industrial heritage. The «Heritage Island» made up of former factories, transformed into places for culture, meetings and leisure, forms the backbone of the project.
• The enhancement of the landscape and the creation of new green spaces, including a large garden-park that runs through the entire district, preserves existing trees, participates in the site’s decontamination and the enhancement of the estate value.
• The optimization and development of water resources, including the development of the banks of the Qin River that runs through the site.
• The development of mixed, connected and flexible programs, based on the Hôtel Métropole concept developed by Dominique Perrault.
• 基于多米尼克·佩罗 (Dominique Perrault) 开发的 Hôtel Métropole 概念，开发混合、连接和灵活的项目。
SEE MORE (来自) Dominique Perrault Architecture
Academician WANG Jianguo Team
Academician ZHUANG Weimin Team
Coop Himmelb(l)au Team
Academician CHENG Taining Team
SEE MORE (来自) Competitions